Why is it that when you're in the grocery store people seem to think they can give you their life story on child raising and inform you of things you are doing wrong whether it be in looks or words?
Yesterday in the grocery store Rebecca was playing with all the stuffed animals in the Easter display and telling me repeatedly: "I want that." With a cool demeanor I kept walking, saying, no, and continued my shopping. A woman passing by overheard my daughter's demands and informed me: "We don't get everything we want either! When we go to the car lot we want the newest car on the lot but that doesn't mean we get it!" I politely answered her: "No, we don't get everything we want either." She proceeded to tell me how she had 4 kids and used to take them all grocery shopping. I politely answered: "Well, I come from a family of 5 and my husband comes from a family of 7" so as not to be outdone by her because all I had with me were my two own children. She continued to praise her own past exploits of managing to take 4 or more children shopping with her as I continued to struggle with my two. She watched my daughter put groceries of her own choosing in the cart and told her: "You have to ask your mom before you put things in your cart. She doesn't have money for everything!" Thanks a lot for that advice.
Her comments wouldn't have been that bad except that I was already ruffled by Rebecca's asking for everything and Joseph trying to reach for everything while trying to stay completely cool, calm and collected, and trying not make unwise purchasing choices, trying not to give in to my children etc etc. But then I rounded the corner, made it to the back of the store where an elderly lady looked at my children, looked at me and said: "Your children are beautiful."
And with a completely sincere thank you, I melted.
Mar 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I blog:
About Me
- Greek Goddess
- I'm a woman who is trying to do her best each day of her life. I laugh, cry, make mistakes, create, make messes and clean. I love life and learning and staying in touch with family and friends. Every year I get to know myself better and how best to use my own strengths and weaknesses to navigate my path.
3 comments:
Shopping with both kids is definitely one of my least favorite activities. Sometimes it is fine, but sometimes it is pure torture. And then to have people feeling the need to share their "wisdom" is just unbearable. I'm sure they mean well, but it just doesn't help anyone. Thank heavens for the sweet lady with the kind words!
oh the grocery store scenes, they can be pretty interesting. Just last week Connor had a melt down in the store, with tears and the whole bit, and I knew people were watching and I even heard a passer by mumble as we went passed. Those times are tough! But thank goodness for those angelic elderly grandmas who are there exactly when you need them to be!
Some people are seriously messed up. ;-)
I am always so grateful to those adorable Grandmas who just smile that knowing smile and tell me how adorable my girls are...because they are... even if they like to scream for cookies every now and then. ;-)
Post a Comment