Feb 17, 2009

Pride goeth before the fall...

Just last night I was reading some of my friend's blogs about the destructiveness of their little ones. I commented to Warren: "We've really been pretty lucky, our kids haven't really done too much damage." (They've done their share of pulling books, cds and dvds out of shelves, and making lots of messes, but they haven't broken much that I can remember.)
Well, today I was also going to prove to my parents that I'm not constantly putting my children in front of the TV so I just left Rebecca and Joseph in my room while I took a shower. Big mistake. I came out to find a whodunit worthy of being on "Clue" cards.

The results:

-Joseph
-with the red permanent marker
-in the bedroom.



And I might add that the dresser was only 2 months old! Thanks to a quick acting Grandma, a bunch of comet and a lot of scrubbing -wonder of wonders- it actually came off.
I learned my lessons:

1. My kids can and will be destructive.

and

2. Stick your kids in front of the TV no matter what you think your parents might be thinking. (I have to add, they haven't ever said anything about my kids watching TV, it was just my own pride.)

3. Hide the permanent markers.

Anyone else have any lessons they want to share with me so I don't have to learn them the hard way? I'm all humility right now....

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Now that we have 2 kids, Gavin has been watching a lot more TV than he used to. I was starting to feel guilty, but maybe it's not so bad after all! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

We got a Valentine package with the movie Cars in it. We usually save movies (especially long ones) for special Fridays, but with the combination of rain and sickness keeping us in the house, we have watched Cars 5 of the last 7 days.

As for not learning things the hard way, my only advice is to make sure bookshelves, etc, are bolted to the wall so that climbing kids won't pull them over.

QueenScarlett said...

I made the mistake with letting K ...who was a little younger than 18 months use permanent markers as a violin/bow.... didn't think she'd would so quickly figure out how to take off those tops... she got creative over her face, hands, room walls, sheets, bed, pajamas, stuffed animals... it was kind of funny.

TV... love it. I think if you use it wisely... there is nothing wrong with it. WE like Charlie and Lola, Einsteins, Kai Lan, Olivia... and Sesame Street. ;-)

Kierstin said...

Hmmmm....I wonder whose blog you were reading. Obviously I don't have the answers either. Thank goodness for TV.

Marilyn Lewis said...

I'm just glad you took pictures of the damage so you'll be able to share it with his children someday! Scott once decorated my new house with red food coloring...hand prints on the wall paper, creative modern art dots all over the carpet, drops on the couch, and a bright red, very please with himself little 2 year old!!

About Me

My photo
I'm a woman who is trying to do her best each day of her life. I laugh, cry, make mistakes, create, make messes and clean. I love life and learning and staying in touch with family and friends. Every year I get to know myself better and how best to use my own strengths and weaknesses to navigate my path.